Forum

Base line defence  

RSS

Smeegle00
(@smeegle00)
14/04/2019 4:43 pm  

Hey Rachel,
In preparation for a tournament at the moment and during some of our training sessions I have had the attacker come along the base line. At the moment I have just been holding my post ready to make a cross save. However when the player is coming with 2-3 meters of the goal box I'm not quite sure whether I should hold the base line or come out and do a leg slide. I just wanted your opinion on what to do in a game situation. 

Rach Lynch
(@rachlynch)
Member Admin
14/04/2019 4:57 pm  

Hey Sarah

It is a really good question. Whenever talking about baseline defence I like to consider a few things.

1. distance from the goal - as you said within 2-3 meters is the zone where we can consider going. I use the dash or marker as a guide. If the player is outside of that then stay. This also allows you defenders to know when you are likely to come. They can tackle before the dash then once it crosses then you may potentially come and join the contest so they should hold.

2. Do they have their head up or down - this is how you decide which skill to use. Head up and you may want to stay. If you want to go then it would be best to use the aussie block. That way if they slip the ball then you are still able to make a second movement or save. Head down means definitely safe to slide. Go hard and fast 

I hope that helps. Always an area where decision making is key and sometimes you will get it wrong. Back yourself no matter what you decide and do it 100%

ReplyQuote
Smeegle00
(@smeegle00)
14/04/2019 6:06 pm  

Thanks Rach, great advice

ReplyQuote
Share: