Forum

Obo ROBO Plus kicke...

Obo ROBO Plus kickers  

RSS

Rach Lynch
(@rachlynch)
Member Admin
27/03/2019 2:09 pm  

For those who have tried the new kickers Id love to hear your thoughts on them. I have been wearing mine for all of this year and have now grown to love them. The shape and size felt a little foreign at the start but now I am very comfortable in them. The extra length on the toe has allowed from some pretty nice saves that I did not think I would make. I have also not felt a hit in my toe yet and I would experience that at least once a session from copping a ball there. 

The current leg guards do not slot in as nicely but OBO inform me they are working on producing an upgraded leg guard too. This may take a year but exciting progress is being made with the equipment which is fantastic.

IMG 4553

Dayle
(@dayle)
07/05/2019 9:45 pm  

Hey Rach,

I’ve had mine in use for about a month (training/playing three-four times per week).  My one main struggle is the air balls I’m now kicking.  Admittedly, I was prone to the odd high ball but now it’s higher and much more wild. I’ve been told to hold off on using the toes, and stick with the inside of the kicker, but I feel like it’s defeating the purpose.

I agree with the leg guards not fitting right. I have to lift my guards up an extra inch, and the bottom strap is now so tightly done up. Good to hear OBO is looking into changes. 

The bonus though, is I’m much better at using my left leg. It’s my weaker (two operations and threat of a replacement will do that). I’m trusting it more with the option of front or side, not just side.

PS...Gloves? Preferences and why? 

PPS GK session in Melbourne soon?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Rach Lynch
(@rachlynch)
Member Admin
07/05/2019 11:45 pm  

Hi Dayle

Thanks for your update. I actually had the same problem as did Ash Wells when we first started. I never had an issue with raised balls but once I put the new kickers on I started lifting them. I think it just takes a bit of time to ensure the technique with head over the ball. I never use the front though which may make a difference. And I think they are still worthwhile because you have extra protection and a bit of extra length. I definitely think inside of the foot is the way to save a hockey ball. You don't need your toe if you can work hard to ensure strong flat and powerful kicks with your instep. 

Great that you have found some benefits with your left leg. It all helps for sure.

Gloves I use the tube style right hand and having tried the european style could not make any sense of it. I believe in hand eye coordination and saving with an area that is on your wrist does not sit right with me. Left glove is pretty straight forward.

I hope that helps 

Rach

Dayle liked
ReplyQuote
Dayle
(@dayle)
09/05/2019 12:01 am  

Thanks Rach,

I appreciate your thoughts. 

I’m using tube too, and usually really good with it, but the last two weekends I’ve  found myself ‘flapping’ at the air balls on the right hand side, instead of holding still and letting it connect. Super bad habit, and I’m not sure why I’m doing it. I’m recovering from a rotator cuff injury, and possibly just being lazy?

ReplyQuote
Share: